It has been difficult to obtain official validated information which pertained to the business transactions between Mercy-Trinity (MD and the Oakland Memorial Hospital (OMH) and the Oakland Hospital Foundation (OHF) Boards.
Before we develop a plan to attempt to regain ownership of our hospital and Lyons and Oakland rural health clinics, it is very important to have answers to the following questions:
- After it was voted to dissolve the Oakland Hospital District, what were the terms of the transfer of ownership agreement between MT and OMH?
- What was the amount of the OMH indebtedness at the time MT was becoming owner and operator of the Oakland Hospital and clinics?
- OHF had funds acquired from donations and fund drives. Were there any written agreements between OHF and MT which under some conditions granted MT to use OHF funds?
- What is the amount of OHF funds currently on deposit?
- The farm land owned by Harold and Donna Baldwin and donated to the Oakland Hospital District was originally intended to be used as a future site for a new hospital and emergency department. That land is now deeded to the OHF. Is there any agreement which grants MT use of the donated property?
- Were there explicit terms which applied to MTs continual use of OHF funds and farmland property if MT unilaterally decided to close operations of the hospital and emergency department?
- During the proceedings to transfer ownership of the hospital and clinics to MT, did the OMH hospital board accept a "no compete clause" to eliminate the possibility of considering competitive offers from other hospitals?
- Since MT became owner of OMH hospital and clinics, has OHF contributed any donated funds for equipment and operations to MT?
- On what date did MT notify OHF of their decision to permanently close the hospital and emergency services?
The answers to the above questions will enable us to develop a feasible plan with the goal of that plan being to regain local ownership of a critical access hospital with 24/7 emergency room coverage. I can assure you those answers can and will be obtained!
Dr. G.E. Peterson